Friday, October 3, 2014

Why I Support BeautyCounter

I have a very stubborn personality. I'll get an idea in my head of something that I want. Normally that something doesn't exist. I would love a couch that's comfy and that can recline, but also has built-in storage drawers underneath. That can't be that hard to make, right? But no. It doesn't exist.

I kept reading about how awful all the chemicals are that we're putting on our bodies. But I wanted something that is healthy and WORKS. Ease of use is nice, too. I couldn't find anything. Everything was too expensive, or had this one ingredient that put me off, or was homemade. And I for sure am NOT that patient or have the time and energy to find the ingredients and make my own. Plus it was always mixed as to how it would actually perform. I just wanted something easy. I wanted to find a company that doesn't lie or hide ingredients. It's really hard to find that now-a-days. They're all after their bottom line and they really don't care about their consumers. Walmart's a prime example. After all, where else are people going to go? There aren't a whole lot of options, therefore they can treat you however they want and get away with it. Anyway... tangent.

So. Something that's works and is good for you. Years pass and I'm still just using whatever is cheapest at the store. I'm trying not to pay too much attention to ingredients (I don't even know what the vast majority of them are, anyway). I stumbled across an article that mentioned BeautyCounter and how they aren't like most companies, in that they actually put your health first. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that, to date, the US has only banned 11 ingredients from cosmetics. BeautyCounter has banned 1500 from their products. Yeah. 1500. That's a lot. I started going through their list of banned ingredients and I was astonished at how many I've seen on labels and had thought nothing of it then. If an ingredient is linked in any way to cause something negative, they won't use it. At first I thought that was a little extreme. But the more I think about it, I really appreciate that they simply aren't willing to take that risk with their consumers.

When I was gave birth to my son in 2010, before I introduced solids, I thought about how I wanted to give him the best nutrition possible. I started realizing how much crap I was putting in my body. I didn't realize what I was doing then, and I can't believe that I didn't see it before. When I saw 1000g of sugar in one serving of whatever, I was just like, "hm. that's interesting", and just ate it anyway. It didn't occur to me what I was doing to myself. I like to use the word "enlightened". It's as if I've been awakened from a long sleep and now I can finally see what I haven't wanted to see. Kind of like the Matrix.

The same thing goes with the chemicals we put on our bodies. I'm just now coming out of the "matrix", the world these companies want you to see, and finally seeing it for what it really is. And it's not pretty. But BeautyCounter gives me some hope that not all companies are just trying to pad their wallets at the expense of the consumer. It's my hope that in spreading awareness and helping people see what they couldn't see before, that we can change the way we treat our bodies and become healthier as a society. Maybe we won't be so burdened with these diseases that are costing us so much money every year. We'll live longer and happier and healthier.

I hope to be very clear about something. I am selling products specifically from BeautyCounter, for the time being, but I am not a hired employee. I have not been through indoctrination or corporate training or any of the sort. Yes, I make money off of sales, but it is merely supplemental to our income. This is much more about supporting a cause than about financial gain, and from what I understand about the CEO of BeautyCounter, she feels the same way. Right now, BeautyCounter is the only product company out there that makes beauty products with completely clean and healthy ingredients. It's beneficial for my family that I get to spread the word about this company while also getting a little bit of money from it. It could've been anyone that took up this mantle, it happened to be BeautyCounter. I am not a blind loyalist, I am not just "hawking my wares," I am most interested in spreading the word.

Also, when I review their products, it's just for you to get a good idea of what it's like. I'll do my best to go at it as a regular every day person and not a salesperson. I would like for you to experience these products as if through a friend, not someone who's just trying to sell you something. I know that some people may be skeptical about if their products work and if they're really that great. I know I was and still am. I've only tried a few things so far. I'm not sure how well these products can work if they don't contain all the ingredients that we're used to. I'd like to show my experience with them as I go through them. You are welcome to join me in this journey through BeautyCounter and their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment